- Starting Sept 13 until… TBD.
- Sundays 3-5pm EST.
- PWYC to the guest teacher in person (cash or venmo).
- Masks (the COVID kind, not the red noses) and social distancing required.
- You will be asked to leave if you can’t follow safety protocols.
- Meet at James S.T. Stranahan Monument (photo below) near Grand Army Plaza and move as a group.
- No RSVP necessary, just show up by 3pm!
- See below for teacher information.
September Outdoor Teacher
“Packaging Your Play at Whizbang Speed: In-Person Express Collaboration” with Jarrod Bates
Sundays Sept 13, 20 + 27 3-5pm in Prospect Park.
Remember clown before inconsistent video connections? Join Jarrod to play some games and then do some funny stuff with an in-person audience to chase that juice that just isn’t the same on Zoom. We’ll move at lightning speed with some dumb ideas and things we’re passionate about, smash it all together and package our play into something beautifully dumb to gift each other, and perhaps even the nearby public if so moved! Don’t worry, we’ll be safe about it – come outside and play!
Jarrod Bates is an out-of-work actor, clown, and physical comedian. He’s made mischief in places like Australia, Hawaii with Aitor Basauri, New Zealand with Strut & Fret, created roles for a Chinese National Tour, and originated the principal characters in COSMOS and EXENTRICKS with Cirque du Soleil at Sea. He has toured his solo show Jarrod Bates: Out of the Box and Onto Your Face, created with Virginia Scott with whom he was a founding member of The Commedia Company. He is a graduate of the Neighborhood Playhouse School of the Theatre, iO Chicago, and The Annoyance NYC. Jarrod apprenticed Christopher Bayes at the Funny School of Good Acting and Yale School of Drama. He now lives in Brooklyn with his cat Bandit and sleeps wearing a clown nose as a security blanket. jarrodbates.com
Check out Clown Gym’s exciting lineup of expert clown teachers on Zoom!